Presented by KC Henna Supply

Presented by KC Henna Supply

Friday, April 13, 2012

Artists are the Innovators

I see so many new Henna artists posting questions on the henna forums about how to do this craft and what is the right way.

I believe fully that true artists are innovators, not afraid to try something even if the outcome could ruin the piece they tied to create. The fun is not only making something wonderful, it's the journey of experimenting and forging new paths while creating.

Do not be afraid to make a mistake. Do not be afraid to play and have fun!

Several years ago I was asked to write a henna craft book for one of the popular henna publishers. I worked on that book for two years. Relentlessly reading forums and asking questions. Experimenting with recipes, techniques, sealing methods, and surfaces.

As I researched and wrote I noticed several things. I started to dislike crafts, it was no longer fun like it was. People were very angry at my answers to their questions, even though I had done my homework on the subject.

In the end I told the publisher I could not do the book. After all the work I had put into it I realized that a craft book, while cool, would halt my learning process. I decided instead to start this blog so I could write what I had learned and could continue to update as I learned more.

Writing a book would have been for ego. It would not have helped make creators just replicators. ( Not that I have anything against replicators.)

Do not be afraid to push the limits. Do not be afraid to try somethings and invent something new.

Be an artist, be an innovator, be unique. Don't be afraid to fail! Some of the greatest innovations were made from mistakes. Don't be afraid to be a little silly and to have fun!

( One of my favorite henna pieces was done by a dear friend. She henna'd a piece of cheese. Yes, an actual piece of cheese ( Kraft single if I remember correctly.) )

Please never forget that henna is about feeling good, creating beauty, making other people feel good.

with happy thoughts go create something wonderful...

~kaci~


Failed experiment, Henna on Crab-apples. 

No comments:

Post a Comment